The Community Service program allows convicted offenders to be placed in nonprofit agencies to serve a specific number of hours performing work or services within a given time frame. This is a sentencing option/condition of probation may be used as an alternative to a jail sentence or fines and costs to be imposed.
Advantages to Community Service:
- Value of probationers service to community agencies
- Therapeutic effects for probationers (such as atonement)
- Exposure to work environment
- Reduction in jail overcrowding and costs
- Symbolic compensation to the community
- Reduced probation supervision caseload and cost
Places to Perform CommunityService:
This list is not all inclusive, but may offer some suggestions.
- DeTour area schools
- City of Sault Ste. Marie
- Area churches
- United Way
- Relay for Life
- Kinross Community Center
- Drummond Island Sportsman Club
- Rudyard Township
- Area cemeteries
- Salvation Army
- Chippewa County Animal Shelter
If you have a need for community service assistance or would like to suggest a placement, contact the Sheriff Department at 906-635-6392.